Thursday, September 4, 2008

Palin's speech

Alas, I didn't get to watch it last night. My wife and I were watching a movie and every time we took a break (which was every 20 minutes), no channels that came in seemed to be carrying it. I was disappointed, since NBC saw fit to ignore a Fred Thompson speech so that windbag Tom Brokaw could bloviate. Oh well.

The comments I've heard have been pretty good so far. The soundbytes sounded articulate and impressive. Foxnews (for what it's worth) reported that when her teleprompter quit working, Palin never skipped a beat and kept going. Here's the speech in its entirety.

Here's one segment of her speech I really liked (the ... represent breaks between applause):

"Well, I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment. And…I've learned quickly these last few days that, if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone..(AUDIENCE BOOS)..But — now, here's a little newsflash. Here's a little newsflash for those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this great country...Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reason and not just to mingle with the right people. Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests. The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it...No one expects us all to agree on everything, but we are expected to govern with integrity, and goodwill, and clear convictions, and a servant's heart. And I pledge to all Americans that I will carry myself in this spirit as vice president of the United States."

BTW, if you or someone you know is familiar with a videoblogger on CNN who kissed his hands like he'd just eaten a tasty meal and spoke of how Palin will get killed in the debate by Joseph Biden, please have him e-mail me. I'd like to be able to chat with him after the debate. I get this feeling that the gent is in for a big surprise.

No comments: