Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Obama versus Palin in terms of experience

While listening today to one of my favorite talk shows, the Laura Ingraham Show, Laura played a soundbyte of Barack Obama questioning Sarah Palin's experience. Palin had a budget of $12 million a year while an Alaskan mayor, Obama said, saying that his campaign spends several times that each month.

As I listened, I thought two things. First, ....and your point is what, Nobama? Second, Why are you bragging about how much money you spend?

I suppose it could be argued that Obama's merely talking about his responsibility of overseeing a large sum of money, but it just came across to me as elitist. To be honest, I think both could have more experience. But when push comes to shove, I'd much rather have an underexperienced vice president than an underexperienced president. After all, didn't Obama's now-running mate Joe Biden say that the Oval Office is not the place for on-the-job training?

Besides, I'm trying to understand how running a presidential campaign qualifies you more for the presidency than Palin's experience as mayor, governor and commissioner qualifies her to serve as vice president.

No comments: